Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Spencerisms

Lots of things have started for Spencer.

First day of THIRD grade!!! How do we have a third grader already??

He started his after school activities which are swimming and a club called Engineering and Architecture, which he loves both!

He also started soccer with the community league!!! He loves that too, even though he likes to socialize a little while running down the field, but he is getting better every week.

Spencer says some of the funniest things still. It's fun to have a conversation with him, because he questions everything and wants to know in specifics of how things work. Since the election is soon and we have been watching debates and talking about things, Spencer has picked up on it. Here is a conversation we had the other day.

Spencer: I want to vote for Obama.
Mom: Why?
Spencer: Because I like how things are going right now, and I don't want it to change.
Dad: What do you think will change?
Spencer: Well, I don't want a new president to take away the shows I like to watch on Nick. 
(at this point Tyler and I just look at each other and smile)
Mom: The president really doesn't have control over what TV shows to cancel.
Spencer: Oh, okay. (thinks for a little bit) I think I would still vote for Obama. 

The next conversation happened when we were talking about going to vote. Spencer has the day off of school and we vote at his school.
Spencer: Will I get to vote?
Mom: Not yet, you have to be 18 to vote.
Spencer: Well then could you change your vote and put my vote in your place??
Mom: You want me to vote the way you want to, so you have a vote and I don't?
Spencer: Yeah. 
Mom: Um, yeah, probably not going to happen.

I love that he is getting involved in wanting to know why we are voting the way we are and who the candidates are for the election. We'll definitely be taking him with us to the polls so he can see the rest of the process. It's fun to see how much he wants to learn about it all!! 


3 comments:

Mary said...

spencer is so awesome. and you guys are such great parents to help show him these things. also, funny how certain things get twisted and how they are understood by children (the tv thing).

Dan and Laura said...

He's so smart and growing up in a blink!

Dannon N. said...

Being the right winger that I am. I am convinced that his teacher at school told his class that if Romney get elected that thier TV shows would be cancelled.