Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Chobe National Park- Boat Game Drive

This is part 1 of Chobe National Park. We were able to go over to Botswana for the day while in Victoria Falls. It was a long ride to the border, but after that things were great! Spencer watched Sonny With a Chance on my iPod while we were traveling. I was REALLY glad that I thought to bring it with us so he could watch it.
We arrived at a hotel there to start the boat cruise, and they had all of these small African animals around the open area. Here is Spencer riding on the rhino, he also made me take a picture of him getting eaten by the rhino.
Being Vanna White showing off the Baobob Tree.
Our first outing for the day was a boat game cruise. We saw lots of birds while on the boat cruise, it was really interesting to see so many varieties of birds, and so many in different vibrant colors (you'll see more in later posts).
Here we saw a Cape Buffalo. These things are HUGE!
I thought it was funny that he had a bird pecking in his ear, he kept flapping his ear to get it to move away.
I like this close up picture because you can see the horns so well, and also look at his teeth, they seem so small.
The next animal we saw was a big ol' crocodile. And of course our driver pulled right up to the edge of the grass so we were in dangers way.
Here we were sitting right in front of it. I was okay with this because I was in the back of the boat, and there were four others ahead of me that he could chew on. But also, by the looks of things, it looked like he just ate, his tummy is really big.
Do you see what I see?? Guess! Guess!!
Did you get it right? Right on the edge of the water all of those gray shapes are HIPPOS!!!! There were at least 30 of them, with babies in the middle. They put their heads on top of each other's bodies to be able to rest/sleep and breathe.
I thought this warthog looked funny being down on what would be his elbows. But because he has such a short neck he has to bend down like this and scoot along on his elbows eating.
Here is the HIGHLIGHT of our trip to Chobe...watching herds of elephants crossing the river!!! It was amazing to see so many elephants and watch how they did this.
I wasn't sure if this little baby would make it, and it's so cute!
But they all made it across. The little baby elephant swam hard and held it's little trunk up to breathe, plus mommy was right in front of him so he would no lose his way.
Don't want to get the tail wet! Kinda reminds me of "pinkies up!"
This poor elephant got tired of his trunk hanging around so he propped it up on his tusk.

More elephants crossing over.
Pretty close, huh?
Have you ever looked at the tail of an elephant?? It looks weird! Those hairs are so bristly and who knew they just came around the edge of the tail.
I caught a moment with the hippos mouth open.
We came across the croc at the end of the cruise, but it was unbelievable how much it blended in!
Then he spotted us!! Start the engine and GO!!!!
Then he disappeared so we had no idea where he went. This is why I will never put my finger over the edge of the boat or ever want to swim anywhere in these waters.

5 comments:

The Nicholes said...

Is it safe getting that close to some of those animals? It could give some people nightmares just thinking about it. (Wink, wink)

Andrea said...

Wow! Those are amazing pictures! And No, I didn't know elephants tails were like that! And I agree with you about not putting a finger over the edge! eeek!

Mickellerox said...

This is an incredible series of photos! I am so dang jealous! It's like you are LIVING in a zoo!

Laura said...

So do the animals seem used to the boats getting that close? That's crazy! VERY cool!

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Becca! Those are such great pictures! I can only imagine what it would have been like to BE there!