Friday, January 8, 2010

Grade A student?

I decided last summer that I would go back to school to get my Bachelor's degree. I got my Associates from Ricks College, but then right after that Tyler and I were married. He had only one semester of schooling done since he was just getting off his mission, so I knew he should go to school to finish his degree, and then I would work to help us get by. We did that, and Tyler got his Bachelor's degree in four years from Utah State. And during his last year we had Spencer, so I was taking care of him. I knew that ever since then Tyler wished that I had finished school while he went to school also. Yes, we would have been scraping by with money, but then I would have finished it.


I found too many excuses, Spencer, then us moving 5 times in a year, and then us moving some more, and getting a new job, and then moving overseas. It was all too much, and I didn't have time to do schooling while Spencer was home. But now has come the time that all of the excuses have stopped. Spencer is in school, I know we'll be here for two years, we have no other kids that I need to look after, and everything in the house and garden are being taken care of.

So I decided last year to start looking at places online that I could go to. And I found one!

Ashford University is where I'm getting my degree from! I started the process WAY back in July of last year, but then told them who knew when we would get our internet when in Zimbabwe, so they were patient enough to wait for us for 3 months to get internet. And FINALLY I have started school, last Tuesday was my first day. It was a bit stressful since Spencer IS home for holiday break, and I had no idea what I was doing, and then realizing it's been almost 10 years since I've been to school. Yikes! But things have been going pretty good, and I'm quite excited that I have made the decision to finish my schooling. I love learning, and so glad I have something to fill my time now while Spencer is in school and Tyler at work.


If things go as planned I should finish before we leave Zimbabwe! My degree is a Generals in Social Sciences. Since I can't finish my degree to become a Marriage and Family Therapist online, AND there was no English degree, I'm hoping when we get back to the States I'll be able to use some of these classes to help me get degrees for those things.

So far the first class is pretty simple, and since I only do one class every 5 weeks, it's not really that much of a load, although there is still lots of reading. It's fun though. I'm getting used to it, and I can't wait to finally have my Bachelor's Degree!!! To me it's a great accomplishment, and I hope when getting back to the States to keep going.

9 comments:

Mary said...

hooray! you will rock it, becca. good luck. xoxo

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Was it Ricks, or BYU I? I think I got mine from BYU I... I am planning on someday finishing mine too, but right now, with 3 kids at home, it ain't happenin'! Good luck!!! Study hard!

The Clem Family said...

Well, at least, you haven't been going to school almost every semester for eight years and still haven't gotten your Associates, yet! Anyway, good luck and you'll do great!!

Laura said...

You'll do great Becca! Best of luck! Grade A student in my book!

Becca said...

Emily, it was Ricks College, I was the last graduating class for Ricks. :) Yes, I'm special. heehee...just kidding. But yes it was Ricks. Thanks for all the encouragement girls!!

joel and laura michelle said...

that is wonderful! we're so happy for you & know that you will make ashford university proud as their zimbabwean student!!

Jake and Emily said...

You go girl!

Unknown said...

Amen You go girl!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Amen You go girl!!!!!!