Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Grandpa Rigby

I found out today that my Grandpa Rigby died at the age of 88, with his wife and children by his side. We knew it was coming, so it wasn't a big shock, but it still is hard to take in. He was the only grandpa I knew growing up. (my dad's dad died right after I was born.) Grandpa Rigby was the best. I always had fun going to his house, which is an old LDS church, with a gym and stage inside the house! It was a great house to play in while growing up. 

Whenever we would visit he would take me fishing, which I always felt special in doing with him. He always took the grandsons fishing, and I never went with them. But at least one morning him, me and my dad would all go and fish for the day. I learned all about fishing from him. 
I also knew whenever we went to Grandpa Rigby's that we would be playing cards, rummy to be exact. I learned from him how to play. He would sit me on his lap and let me "help" him. 
I will miss him dearly, but know that he is up there in heaven playing baseball with all of his friends. I will miss the stories he would tell us of his past, and see the tenderness in his eyes when he would talk about how family is everything. I learned from him that family IS everything, and how patriotic we all should be. He was a good man.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Becca, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. I know exactly how you feel about the fishing with Grandpa story. I too always had a lot of fun with my Grandpa, especially fishing. :-)

Laura said...

I'm sorry for your loss Becca. What wonderful memories you have with him and of him! Cherish those always! I hope you're still enjoying your stay in the states for a little while longer. Love you!

Jake and Emily said...

I am so sorry I will always remember visiting them and getting my finger stuck in the butter! They have got to be the coolest grandparents. My thought and prays are with you!