Who would have thought you could actually have some culture shock coming back into the U.S. after spending eight months in Congo? I sure didn't, but it is true. It is very weird to be back here. Don't get me wrong, I love being in the U.S., and being able to go to Target pretty much EVERY day. :) But it's just weird being here. I realize now that I had gotten very used to where we lived in Congo and how we did things day in and day out. Here in the United States, it's different. After being with lots of family and friends, I soon realized that people here are VERY busy. Do people in the states realize that they don't HAVE to do something everyday? Or even go out? Do they realize that things don't have to go 100 miles an hour? I'm not saying that it's wrong or anything, just so different from what we have been living in for 8 months. So now I know that I have picked up one things from the Congolese.......being slow. (not mentally, Seth) Just slowing down the pace of everyday life, and I guess actually enjoying things around you. Although I don't think the Congolese slow down to enjoy things around them, it's just that they do everything slowly.
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Culture Shock in the U.S.?
So, question (I feel like Dwight Shrute), has anyone else had this feeling of culture shock in the states after living overseas? Also, a question more to myself, will I get culture shock when I got back to Congo?
Well, at least for now, I am enjoying my stay in the states, and seeing all of my family and friends. And going to Target and Wendy's. :)
Posted by Becca at 2:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh Becca I get culture shock everytime I go back to England, and England is not that much different to here, but diffently a slower pace of life, its wonderful thats one of the things I enjoy must about going home, stress free living! Well almost.
Linda Anderson
Yes, and yes. I thought EVERYTHING was different when we moved to England. And even coming back to Utah from my weeklong cruise I caught a few things that were kinda Deja Vu... You know, I knew about them, but they still seeming kinda weird and foreign. Glad to have you back though! And don't worry, you can get used it it :)
I landed on your blog as a result of an email that Laura & Joel McIntyre sent to me with regards to needs in the Congo (I will be sending a small box with some school supplies that my husband and I wanted to send). Oh, yes...yes we can identify with your culture shock feelings. We lived in Ankara, Turkey for almost
2 1/2 years and experienced that same thing! Enjoy your adventure...and the special family time that it affords you. Our children (who are now grown and married with children of their own) cherish their memories of our time spent there.
Post a Comment